The English language is a treasure trove of funny, peculiar, and sometimes baffling words, especially when we dive into the ‘S’ section of the dictionary. From words that twist the tongue to those that paint humorous images in our minds, ‘S’ is sure to serve up some linguistic surprises.
So, sit back, relax, and get ready to smile, giggle, or even guffaw as we delve into funny words that start with S, complete with their whimsical meanings!
Funny Words That Start With S
Here is the list of the most important funny words that begin with the letter ‘S’ and their meanings;
- Sabotage – deliberate destruction or disruption.
- Salamander – a lizard-like amphibian.
- Sassafras – a type of tree with aromatic properties.
- Scallywag – a mischievous or rascally person.
- Scuttlebutt – gossip or rumors.
- Seersucker – a light puckered fabric, typically striped.
- Shenanigan – a playful or mischievous act.
- Shih Tzu – a breed of small, long-haired dog.
- Skedaddle – to leave hurriedly or suddenly.
- Skullduggery – underhanded or unscrupulous behavior.
- Slapdash – done too hurriedly and carelessly.
- Sleuth – a detective.
- Smorgasbord – a variety of foods served buffet-style.
- Snickerdoodle – a type of cookie with cinnamon.
- Snollygoster – a shrewd, unprincipled person, especially in politics.
- Snorkel – a tube for breathing underwater.
- Sobriquet – a person’s nickname.
- Spatula – a flat, broad kitchen tool.
- Sphinx – a mythical creature with a lion’s body and a human head.
- Squabble – a noisy argument over something petty.
- Squiggle – a short line that curls and loops in an irregular way.
- Squirrely – eccentric or flighty.
- Staccato – with each sound or note sharply detached.
- Stooge – a person used as a tool by others.
- Subterfuge – deceit used to achieve one’s goal.
- Succotash – a dish of corn and lima beans.
- Sudoku – a puzzle game involving numbers.
- Supercilious – behaving as though one thinks one is superior to others.
- Swashbuckler – a flamboyant adventurer or swordsman.
- Syzygy – an alignment of three celestial bodies.
Explore More Funny Words: