When learning to write in English, it is essential to understand the use of articles correctly. Articles are words that indicate nouns, such as a, an, and the. As a result, these three words are often some of the first ones taught in ESL classes.
In this article, we will provide examples of how to use articles in sentences and also offer 20 sentences using articles for your reference.
What is an Article in Grammar?
In grammar, an article is a word that is used to indicate whether a noun refers to a specific or nonspecific object, person, or thing. Articles are a type of determiner, which are words that precede a noun and provide information about it.
In English, there are two types of articles: definite and indefinite.
The definite article is “the,” and it is used to refer to a specific noun that has already been mentioned or is known to both the speaker and the listener.
For example, “The cat is sitting on the mat.”
The indefinite article is “a” or “an,” and it is used to refer to a nonspecific or generic noun. “A” is used before nouns that begin with a consonant sound, while “an” is used before nouns that begin with a vowel sound.
For example, “I want to buy a car” or “She is an excellent musician.”
20 Examples of Articles in Sentences
Below are 20 article examples in sentences:
- A dog is an animal.
- A cat is a mammal.
- I love the color red.
- Our family loves to sing on the weekends.
- I bought a new guitar for my son.
- This is the red guitar I bought him.
- A cat and a dog are both mammals.
- I’m looking for a place to live.
- This is the place I was talking about.
- The dog bit him on the leg.
- A crocodile lives in water.
- Did you see the movie last night?
- The movie they saw was “Frozen.”
- She didn’t say a word to him.
- A golden retriever is a breed of dog.
- I used to work in a humane society.
- I will never own a snake as a pet!
- I’m looking for a person of great integrity.
- An orange tree makes fruit that is orange in color.
- We live on the third floor of the apartment building.
Read more examples of articles, here.
Examples of Definite Article
Below are 10 sentences using the article ‘the’.
- I saw the most beautiful sunset last night.
- Can you pass me the salt, please?
- She is reading the newspaper right now.
- They went to the mall to buy some new clothes.
- He found the lost wallet on the street.
- We’re going to the park this afternoon.
- She can’t find the key to her car.
- The movie we watched last night was really interesting.
- He ate the last slice of pizza without asking.
- She loves listening to the sound of rain on the roof.
Read more examples of the definite article, here.
Examples of Indefinite Articles
Below are 10 sentences using the article ‘an & an’.
- She saw a beautiful butterfly in the garden.
- He bought an apple at the grocery store.
- They found a new restaurant near their house.
- I need to buy a new pair of shoes.
- She adopted a kitten from the animal shelter.
- He read an interesting article in the magazine.
- She has a big test tomorrow in her history class.
- I met a famous actor at the party last night.
- He cooked an amazing meal for his friends.
- They are trying to bake a cake.
Read more examples of the indefinite article, here.
10 Sentences Using Article ‘A’
Below are 10 sentences using the article ‘A’.
- A cat chased a mouse.
- She found a penny on the street.
- He bought a new car last week.
- The student asked a question in class.
- A flower bloomed in the garden.
- She received a gift from her friend.
- The chef cooked a delicious meal.
- A bird sang a beautiful song.
- He wore a hat to protect himself from the sun.
- A book fell off the shelf.
10 Sentences Using Article ‘An’
Below are 10 sentences using the article ‘an’.
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
- He is an engineer by profession.
- Can you lend me an umbrella, please?
- She has an amazing singing voice.
- The child wants an ice cream cone.
- I need to buy an adapter for my laptop.
- It takes an hour to drive to the city center.
- An elephant is the largest land animal in the world.
- He gave me an interesting book to read.
- I’d like to order an extra-large pizza, please.
Last updated on November 3rd, 2023 at 02:24 pm