5 Examples of Double Prepositions in Sentences!
Related: 50 Examples of Double Prepositions
Double prepositions are made up of two prepositions combined to form a new preposition. Here are the explanations and examples of five double prepositions:
- Out of – This double preposition indicates movement from within something to the exterior of it.
- The cat jumped out of the window.
- She climbed out of the swimming pool.
- The thief ran out of the bank with a bag of money.
- Next to – This double preposition describes something that is positioned immediately beside something else.
- I sat next to my best friend in the movie theater.
- The dog sleeps next to his owner’s bed.
- The coffee shop is located next to the bookstore.
- Onto – This double preposition implies movement towards and ending up on a surface or object.
- The cat jumped onto the kitchen counter.
- He threw the ball onto the roof.
- She placed the flowers onto the vase.
- According to – This double preposition indicates that something is based on or in agreement with a particular source.
- According to the weather forecast, it will rain tomorrow.
- The book is organized according to different topics.
- The new policy was implemented according to the recommendations of the committee.
- Inside – This double preposition refers to something being enclosed or located within something else.
- The keys are inside the drawer.
- She hid inside the closet when playing hide-and-seek.
- The family went inside the house when it started to rain.
Below are 5 sentences with double prepositions:
- Her bike was hoisted onto the car’s roof.
- The schism within the group widens.
- Do not halloo until you’ve made it out of the woods.
- The boy inhaled deeply into a mirror.
- England overcame Scotland after coming from behind.
Last updated on April 5th, 2023 at 06:33 am