What does Filipino Mean? (Meaning & Origin)
A Filipino is a native or national of the Philippines. The term also refers to the culture, people, and languages of the country.
Slang Words for Filipino
- Tambay: Hanging out aimlessly
- Kulit: Annoyingly playful or bothersome
- Astig: Cool or tough
- Jejemon: Internet/text language abuser
- Tsong: Informal term for friend
- Lodi: Idol (backwards slang)
- Werpa: Power (backwards slang)
- Jowa: Romantic partner
- Chika: Gossip or talk
- Bongga: Fabulous or impressive
- Sawi: Lovesick or heartbroken
- Petmalu: Extremely amazing
- Charot: Just kidding
- Kikay: Fashion-conscious or girly
- Balikbayan: Returning Filipino expatriate
- Pogi: Handsome
- Sosyal: Posh or upper-class
- Gutom: Hungry or starving
- Alat: Unfortunate or unlucky
- Rakrakan: To party hard
Use of Filipino Slang in Example Sentences
- He’s always tambay at the convenience store.
- Stop being so kulit when I’m working.
- That new movie is really astig.
- She’s a jejemon with all those emojis.
- Hey tsong, what’s up?
- LeBron is my Lodi in basketball.
- Show them your werpa in the game!
- Do you have a jowa?
- Let’s catch up on some chika later.
- Your new dress is so bongga!
- He’s been sawi since the breakup.
- That performance was petmalu!
- I won a million dollars, charot!
- She’s so kikay, always wearing makeup.
- He’s a balikbayan, who just got back from the U.S.
- He thinks he’s pogi, always checking himself out.
- They are too sosyal for street food.
- I’m so gutom, I could eat a horse.
- That was an alat moment, missing the last bus.
- It’s Friday, time to rakrakan!
Explore More Slang Words: