Past Continuous Tense
Past continuous tense shows that some action remained continued in the past. The first form of the verb is used with the addition of ing is used. ( 1st form + ing). “was, were” are the helping verbs of this tense. “was” is used with the singulars. “were” is used with plural. Like we, you, they, and other plural nouns.
Firstly 1st form of the verb is used in addition to ( ing). Or we can say that the fourth form of the verb is used. 1st form of verb + ing also known as the fourth form of a verb.
Secondly “was, were” are used according to the subject.
Formation of Past Continous Tense
Sub + helping verb ( was, were) + 1st form of verb + ing + object.
- Ahmed was taking a bath.
- Girls were clapping and dancing.
- Boys were making noise.
- Neha was riding a horse.
- Many of the students were participating in sports.
- You were waiting for me.
- Sun was shining.
- He was running.
- The cat was eating meat.
- They were buying a new house.
When we have to make negative sentences of past continuous tense, we use not after helping verb.
Sub + helping verb ( was, were) + Not + 1st form of verb + ing + object.
- Ahmed was not taking a bath.
- We were not singing a song.
- Girls were not clapping and dancing.
- The boys were not making noise.
- Neha was not riding a horse.
- Many of the students were not participating in sports.
- You were not waiting for me.
- Sun was not shining.
- He was not running.
- The cat was not eating meat.
- They were not buying a new house.
In the case of interrogative sentences, the helping verb (was, were) is placed at the start of the sentence. And a question mark is added at the end.
Helping verb ( was, were ) + Subject + 1st form of verb + ing + object + ?
- Was she arguing with the teacher?
- Was it raining?
- Were you singing a song?
- Was I walking on the bridge?
- Were they sewing the clothes?
- Was she weeping?
- Were they knocking at the door?
- Were we taking tea?
Past Continuous Tenses Examples
- You were shopping in that market.
- Were you enjoying the concert of realistic songs?
- We were watching a movie in this Cineplex yesterday.
- We were shopping in this market last week.
- We were enjoying the program thoroughly.
- They were playing hockey on that field last week.
- They were playing football in that field.
- The poet was writing a romantic poem.
- The lyricist was writing a realistic song for the program.
- She was drinking coffee in that coffee shop.
- I was writing articles on different topics.
- I was singing different kinds of songs, especially modern.
- I was shopping at the Dhaka International Trade Fair with my elder brother.
- I was not watching the cricket match on television.
- I was listening to melodious songs last evening.
- I was helping him to do the task.
- He was traveling around the world.
- He was studying in the library.
- He was reading various kinds of books.
- He was practicing to sing the song for the program.
DOWNLOAD PDF OF ALL TWELVE TENSES FROM BELOW
Present Indefinite Tense
Present continuous Tense
Present Perfect Tense
Present Perfect Continuous Tense
Past Indefinite Tense
Past continuous Tense
Past Perfect Tense
Past Perfect Continuous Tense
Future Indefinite Tense
Future continuous Tense
Future Perfect Tense
Download Past Continuous Tense pdf below.
PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE TABLE
|Helping Verbs||(was, were )|
|Form of Verb||(first form of verb + ing)|
+ Affirmative Sentences
|Sub + ( was, were) + ing form + object|
|He + was + taking + bath|
– Negative sentences
|Sub + ( was, were) + not + ing form + object|
|He + was + not + taking + bath|
? Interrogative Sentences
|( was, were) + sub + ing form + object + ?|
|was + he + taking + bath + ?|
I dont like your template but your posts are quite really good so I will check back! Also i cant subscribe to your rss feed! Any ideea why?