Sometimes, having just one word to express all the feelings of your sadness can seem inadequate. We may search for another word or phrase to fully communicate our emotional experience—something that conveys deep sorrow and grief, yet at the same time offers a sense of understanding and consolation
Whether you’re looking for words associated with physical pain, heartache, despair, or simply a gloomy mood, discovering an alternative to “sad” might be exactly what you need and this blog will provide a comprehensive list of potential other words for sad to help get started.
Meaning of Sad: The Meaning of sad is a feeling of unhappiness, sorrow, distress, or grief. It is an emotion characterized by feelings of pessimism and hopelessness.
Meaning of Depressed: Depressed is a feeling of hopelessness, helplessness, despair, and discouragement.
Synonyms For Sad
- Fed Up
Very Sad Synonyms
Synonyms For Sad and Angry
Synonyms For Sad and Happy
Another Word for Low Mood
Words To Describe Depression and Anxiety
Depressed Synonyms Slang
9- Torn Up
17- Sad Sacks
20-In A Funk
Sad Words with Deep Meanings
Other Words for Sad
- Blue devils
- Heavy heart
- In doldrums
- The dumps
- The blues
- Blue funk
- Down in the mouth
- Not happy
- Sick at heart
- In grief
- Broken heart
- Out of sorts
- Cast down
- Down in dumps
- In the dumps
Other Words for Sad with Example Sentences
- Blue devils: The sadness consumed her.
- Bitter: The bitter memories haunted him.
- Discouraging: The discouraging news left her hopeless.
- Dark: The dark clouds matched his mood.
- Wretched: The wretched feeling wouldn’t leave her.
- Gloomy: The gloomy weather reflected his feelings.
- Wailing: Her wailing was a sign of deep sorrow.
- Contemptible: The contemptible actions made him feel ashamed.
- Pitiable: His pitiable state made her heart ache.
- Moving: The moving speech brought tears to her eyes.
- Inferior: She felt inferior and insignificant.
- Droopy: The droopy flowers matched her mood.
- Melancholy: The melancholy music made her weep.
- Disgusting: The disgusting behavior left her feeling sick.
- Bereaved: The bereaved family was inconsolable.
- Despicable: The despicable act left her feeling angry.
- Mourning: The mourning period seemed endless.
- Downcast Ness: The downcast Ness was palpable in the room.
- Blue: The blue mood wouldn’t lift.
- Heavy heart: She had a heavy heart after the breakup.
- Aggrieved: The aggrieved party felt betrayed.
- Heavyhearted: He was heavyhearted after the loss.
- Lugubrious: The lugubrious song made her cry.
- Miserable: She felt miserable and alone.
- Bleakness: The bleakness of the situation was overwhelming.
- Blahs: The blahs kept her in bed all day.
- Poignancy: The poignancy of the moment made her weep.
- Heartbroken: He was heartbroken and despondent.
- In doldrums: She was in the doldrums and couldn’t snap out of it.
- Shameful: The shameful act left her feeling embarrassed.
- Hateful: The hateful words left a bitter taste.
- The dumps: He was in the dumps and couldn’t shake it off.
- Shocking: The shocking news left her reeling.
- Woe: The woe was written all over her face.
- Inconsolable: The inconsolable child cried for hours.
- Doleful: The doleful expression was heart-wrenching.
- Dispirited: The dispirited team lost the game.
- Heartrending: The heartrending story left her in tears.
- Scandalous: The scandalous behavior left her feeling disgusted.
- Downcast: His downcast eyes spoke volumes.
- Bad: The bad news hit her hard.
- Drear: The dreariness of the day matched his mood.
- Distress: The distress was too much to bear.
- Unfortunate: The unfortunate event left a deep scar.
- Dishonorable: The dishonorable actions left her feeling betrayed.
- The blues: She had a bad case of the blues.
- Unhappy: She was unhappy and didn’t know why.
- Lamentable: The lamentable state of affairs made her sad.
- Downhearted: He was downhearted after the loss.
- Funk: He was in a funk and couldn’t shake it off.
- Darkening: The darkening skies matched his mood.
- Hopeless: She felt hopeless and lost.
- Bleak: The bleak landscape matched his mood.
- Deplorable: The deplorable conditions left her feeling angry.
- Hurting: My heart is hurting.
- Distressed: She looked distressed and unhappy.
- Dejected: He was dejected after losing.
- Misbegotten: His misbegotten plans failed.
- Sorrowful: She had a sorrowful expression.
- Heavy-hearted: I am heavy-hearted today.
- Wistful: She gazed wistfully outside.
- Disheartened: He felt disheartened by the news.
- Black: My mood is black.
- Pathetic: The situation was pathetic.
- Crestfallen: He was crestfallen by the result.
- Bummer: It was such a bummer.
- Saturnine: He had a saturnine expression.
- Morbid: Her thoughts turned morbid.
- Mournfulness: There was a mournfulness in her voice.
- Brokenhearted: She was brokenhearted after the breakup.
- Cheerlessness: The atmosphere was full of cheerlessness.
- Hangdog: He had a hangdog expression.
- Pensive: She sat there, looking pensive.
- Abominable: The weather was abominable.
- Tribulation: He went through tribulation.
- Lousy: I feel lousy today.
- Sunk: He was sunk in misery.
- Plaintive: She had a plaintive tone.
- Despondent: He was despondent after the failure.
- Lame: The excuse was lame.
- Low-spirited: She was low-spirited today.
- Disgraceful: His behavior was disgraceful.
- Morose: He had a morose expression.
- Sombre: The mood was sombre and quiet.
- Odious: His actions were odious.
- Discouraged: She felt discouraged by the setback.
- In grief: She was lost in grief.
- Tearful: She had a tearful expression.
- Dejection: He was filled with dejection.
- Infamous: The event was infamous.
- Heartache: He suffered from heartache.
- Perturbing: The news was perturbing.
- Gray: The day was gray and dreary.
- Desolate: The place was desolate and barren.
- Dolor: She felt dolor after the injury.
- Depressing: The situation was depressing.
- Dispiritedness: The team played with dispiritedness.
- Agonized: She had an agonized expression.
- Broken heart: He had a broken heart.
- Touching: The movie was touching.
- Sorrowfulness: She was filled with sorrowfulness.
- Dismals: She had the dismals.
- Discomforting: The news was discomforting.
- Glum: He had a glum expression.
- Heartsore: She was heartsore after the argument.
- Letdown: The outcome was a letdown.
- Teary: She had teary eyes.
- Disconsolate: He felt disconsolate after the loss.
- Dolefulness: There was a dolefulness in the air.
- Moodiness: He was in a moodiness.
- Disappointed: She was disappointed by the result.
- Downer: The news was a real downer.
- Unsavory: The situation was unsavory.
- Troubled: She looked troubled and anxious.
- Out of sorts: He was feeling out of sorts.
- Uneasy: She felt uneasy and uncomfortable.
Download PDF (other words for sad)