5 Examples of Reflexive Pronouns in Sentences
Related: 20 Examples of Reflexive Pronouns
Reflexive pronouns are pronouns that refer back to the subject of a sentence. They end in -self or -selves and indicate that the subject is performing an action on itself.
Here are 5 sentences with reflexive pronouns in bold:
- We have no choice but to rely on ourselves.
- Every man knows himself best.
- I took a long hot bath to pamper myself.
- He let the small fire die out on its own.
- Giving is a form of reward in and of itself.
5 Reflexive Pronouns, Examples, and Meanings
Here are five reflexive pronouns and their meanings:
This reflexive pronoun refers back to the speaker or the subject in the sentence.
- I need to take care of myself first.
- I can’t believe I did that to myself.
- I often talk to myself when I’m alone.
This reflexive pronoun refers back to the person or people being addressed in the sentence.
- Can you please help yourself to some food?
- You should be proud of yourself for finishing that project.
- You’re going to hurt yourself if you keep doing that.
This reflexive pronoun refers back to a male subject in the sentence.
- He blamed himself for the mistake.
- He gave himself a pat on the back for a job well done.
- He can’t stop talking about himself.
This reflexive pronoun refers back to a female subject in the sentence.
- She poured herself a cup of tea.
- She talked to herself in the mirror before the job interview.
- She bought herself a new dress for the party.
This reflexive pronoun refers back to a plural subject in the sentence.
- They congratulated themselves on a successful project.
- They hurt themselves during the soccer game.
- They cooked the meal themselves instead of ordering takeout.
Last updated on March 25th, 2023 at 05:50 pm