Noun clauses are an important part of English grammar, and it is important to understand how they work in order to be able to use them correctly. In this article, we will examine 10 examples of noun clauses.
10 Examples of Noun Clauses
Here are 10 examples of noun clauses with the noun clause in bold, followed by an explanation of its function within the sentence.
- I believe that honesty is the best policy.
- The noun clause functions as the direct object of the verb “believe.”
- She asked me whether I needed any help.
- The noun clause acts as the direct object of the verb “asked.”
- What she said made me think.
- The noun clause serves as the subject of the sentence.
- The teacher couldn’t understand why the student was late.
- The noun clause is the direct object of the verb “understand.”
- The movie was about how a group of friends overcame their struggles.
- The noun clause functions as a complement to the subject “movie.”
- His decision depends on whether he gets the job offer.
- The noun clause serves as the object of the preposition “on.”
- She didn’t know when the next train would arrive.
- The noun clause functions as the direct object of the verb “know.”
- The reason for her absence was that she had an emergency at home.
- The noun clause serves as a complement to the subject “reason.”
- He’s not sure if he can finish the project on time.
- The noun clause is the direct object of the verb “sure.”
- Tell me what you want for dinner.
- The noun clause functions as the direct object of the verb “tell.”
Noun Clause Examples With Answers
- The issue is whether they have enough resources.
- He’s excited about where they’ll go on vacation.
- She was amazed by how beautiful the sunset was.
- They’re discussing what needs to be done.
- It depends on whether they can secure funding.
- The story is about who the real hero is.
- She doesn’t know when the concert will end.
- The challenge is how to balance work and life.
- They’re trying to determine which candidate is best suited.
- He’s curious about why the birds are singing.
Noun Clause Exercise
In this exercise, complete the sentences using a noun clause. Remember to start the noun clause with words such as that, what, who, whom, whose, which, when, where, why, whether, or how.
- She couldn’t believe [ _____________________ ].
- The mystery is [ ___________________ ].
- I am not certain [ _____________________ ].
- They’re discussing [ ___________________ ].
- The coach wants to know [ __________________ ].
- The students were excited about [ __________________ ].
- The author’s new book is about [ __________________ ].
- We need to find out [ _____________ ].
- His decision will be based on [ __________________ ].
- She wondered [ __________________ ].
Here’s an example:
Example: He explained [ ].
Possible answer: He explained that he had finished his work early.
Last updated on April 9th, 2023 at 07:19 pm