We continue our health-focused alphabetical journey with diseases starting with ‘W’. This part of our exploration highlights various conditions, from rare and deadly to those affecting blood, bone, mental health, and more.
Our aim is to provide insights into the wide range of diseases associated with the letter ‘W’, understanding their unique characteristics and impacts.
Top 30 Diseases that Start with W
Below are the 30 common diseases starting with the letter ‘W’.
- Whooping Cough (Pertussis): Highly contagious respiratory infection.
- Wilson’s Disease: Rare genetic disorder affecting copper metabolism.
- Warts: Skin growths caused by HPV virus.
- Wegener’s Granulomatosis: Blood vessel inflammation.
- Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia: Type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome: Abnormal heart rhythm.
- Whiplash: Neck injury from sudden movement.
- West Nile Virus: Infection spread by mosquitoes.
- Wernicke’s Encephalopathy: Brain disorder caused by thiamine deficiency.
- Wilms Tumor: Kidney cancer in children.
- Wrist Tendonitis: Inflammation of the wrist tendons.
- Wolman Disease: Rare genetic disorder affecting fat metabolism.
- Williams Syndrome: Developmental disorder affecting many body systems.
- Wrinkles: Lines and folds in the skin.
- Wrist Fractures: Breaks in the bones of the wrist.
- White Matter Disease: Degeneration of brain’s white matter.
- Wheezing: High-pitched whistling sound during breathing.
- Warts, Genital: Sexually transmitted skin growths.
- Water on the Knee (Knee Effusion): Fluid buildup in the knee joint.
- Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome: Rare genetic immune disorder.
- Waldenström’s Macroglobulinemia: Cancer affecting white blood cells.
- Wet Macular Degeneration: Advanced form of age-related macular degeneration.
- Weber-Christian Disease: Inflammatory disease affecting fat tissue.
- Wolfram Syndrome: Genetic disorder affecting nerves and organs.
- Waardenburg Syndrome: Genetic disorder affecting skin, hair, and eye color.
- Warm Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia: Red blood cells are destroyed by the body’s own immune system.
- Wrist Sprain: Ligament injury in the wrist.
- White Sponge Nevus: Genetic condition affecting mucous membranes.
- Wheat Allergy: Allergic reaction to wheat proteins.
- Wallenberg’s Syndrome: Stroke affecting the brainstem.
Rare Diseases That Start With W
- Wolman Disease: Fatal genetic disorder affecting fat metabolism.
- Waardenburg Syndrome: Genetic disorder affecting pigmentation.
- Wolfram Syndrome: Rare genetic condition affecting multiple organs.
- Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome: Immune system and blood disorder.
- Weill-Marchesani Syndrome: Rare connective tissue disorder.
Deadly Diseases That Start With W
- Wilson’s Disease: Untreated, can lead to fatal liver disease.
- Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia: Blood cancer with potential fatality.
- West Nile Virus: Can be fatal in severe cases.
- Wilms Tumor: Kidney cancer in children with potential fatality.
- Wernicke’s Encephalopathy: Can be deadly if untreated.
Other Diseases Beginning With W (Divided By Type)
In this segment, we explore diseases starting with the letter “W,” categorizing them by type to enhance understanding and facilitate effective diagnosis and treatment.
Autoimmune Diseases That Start With W
- Wegener’s Granulomatosis (Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis): Causes inflammation of blood vessels.
- Warm Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia: Red blood cells, destroyed by the body’s own antibodies.
- Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome: Genetic disorder affecting the immune system and blood.
- Wilson’s Disease: Rare genetic disorder causing copper accumulation.
- White-Sutton Syndrome: Rare genetic disorder affecting multiple systems.
Blood Diseases That Start With W
- Waldenström’s Macroglobulinemia: Cancer that produces excess antibodies.
- Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome: Immune deficiency with low platelet count.
- Warfarin Toxicity: Adverse effect of anticoagulant medication.
- White Blood Cell Disorders: A range of conditions affecting leukocytes.
- Waterhouse-Friderichsen Syndrome: Adrenal gland failure due to severe bacterial infection.
Bone Diseases That Start With W
- Wolff’s Law Bone Remodeling: Changes in bone architecture due to mechanical stress.
- Wilson’s Disease: Copper buildup leading to bone issues.
- Winchester Syndrome: Rare genetic disorder affecting bones and skin.
- Weaver Syndrome: Genetic condition affecting bone development.
- Wrist Arthritis: Degenerative joint disease affecting the wrist.
Bacterial Infection That Start With W
- Whooping Cough (Pertussis): Highly contagious respiratory bacterial infection.
- Wound Infections: Bacterial infections develop in injuries.
- Whipple’s Disease: Rare bacterial infection affecting the digestive system.
- Wolbachia Infection: Bacterial infection, commonly in insects, occasionally in humans.
- Weil’s Disease (Leptospirosis): Severe form of bacterial infection transmitted by rodents.
Explore More Diseases Starting With:
Animal Diseases That Start With W
In this section, we delve into common animal diseases starting with ‘W.’ These diseases vary in severity and impact, playing a significant role in veterinary medicine and animal care.
- West Nile Virus: Mosquito-borne disease affecting horses and birds.
- Wobbler Syndrome: Neurological disorder in horses and dogs.
- White Muscle Disease: Nutritional muscular dystrophy in livestock.
- Whipworm Infestation: Parasitic infection caused by whipworms.
- Worm Infestations: Various gastrointestinal parasites in animals.
- Wet Tail: Serious condition in rodents, particularly hamsters.
- Wooden Tongue: Bacterial infection in cattle.
- Wheat Poisoning: Toxic reaction in animals consuming spoiled wheat.
- White Line Disease: Hoof disease in horses.
- Wing Deformities: Various conditions affecting birds’ wings.