Continuing our journey through the alphabet of health, we turn our attention to the letter ‘S’. This exploration unveils a vast array of diseases, from the rare and deadly to those impacting blood, bone, mental health, and more.
We’ll also investigate autoimmune disorders and bacterial infections, revealing the extensive and diverse nature of conditions that begin with ‘S’.
Top 30 Diseases that Start with S
Below are the 30 common diseases starting with the letter ‘S’.
- Stroke: Brain damage from blood flow disruption.
- Schizophrenia: Serious mental health disorder.
- Scoliosis: Abnormal curvature of the spine.
- Sepsis: Life-threatening response to infection.
- Syphilis: Bacterial sexually transmitted infection.
- Shingles (Herpes Zoster): Viral infection causing a painful rash.
- Sarcoidosis: Inflammatory disease affecting multiple organs.
- Sleep Apnea: Breathing stops intermittently during sleep.
- Salmonella Infection: Bacterial food poisoning.
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Chronic autoimmune disease.
- Sinusitis: Inflammation of the sinuses.
- Sciatica: Pain along the sciatic nerve.
- Strep Throat: Bacterial throat infection.
- Skin Cancer: Malignant skin cell growth.
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS): Unexplained death in infants.
- Sjogren’s Syndrome: Autoimmune disease affecting moisture-producing glands.
- Seborrheic Dermatitis: Skin condition causing scaly patches.
- Spina Bifida: Birth defect affecting the spinal cord.
- Stomach Cancer: Cancer in the stomach lining.
- Sickle Cell Anemia: Genetic blood disorder.
- Schizoaffective Disorder: Combination of schizophrenia and mood disorder.
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy: Genetic disorder affecting muscle control.
- Scarlet Fever: Bacterial illness causing a rash.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Type of skin cancer.
- Splenomegaly: Enlargement of the spleen.
- Sunstroke: Severe heat illness.
- Schistosomiasis: Parasitic infection from freshwater snails.
- Scabies: Skin infestation by mites.
- Sturge-Weber Syndrome: Rare neurological disorder.
- Stevens-Johnson Syndrome: Severe skin reaction.
Rare Diseases That Start With S
- Stiff Person Syndrome: Rare neurological disorder.
- Shwachman-Diamond Syndrome: Genetic bone marrow disorder.
- Sneddon Syndrome: Blood clot disorder affecting the skin and brain.
- Stickler Syndrome: Genetic disorder affecting connective tissue.
- Schinzel-Giedion Syndrome: Rare genetic condition.
Deadly Diseases That Start With S
- Sepsis: Potentially fatal response to infection.
- Stroke: This can lead to death or severe disability.
- Stomach Cancer: Often deadly without early detection.
- Skin Cancer: Certain types can be fatal.
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS): Unexplained infant fatalities.
Other Diseases Beginning With S (Divided By Type)
In this section, we delve into diseases starting with the letter “S,” categorizing them by type for a clearer understanding of their nature and treatment approaches.
Autoimmune Diseases That Start With S
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE): Autoimmune disease affecting multiple organs.
- Sjögren’s Syndrome: The immune system attacks glands that make tears and saliva.
- Scleroderma: Hardening and tightening of the skin and connective tissues.
- Sarcoidosis: Growth of inflammatory cells in different parts of the body.
- Schmidt’s Syndrome: Rare autoimmune disorder affecting hormone-producing glands.
Blood Diseases That Start With S
- Sickle Cell Anemia: Genetic disorder causing misshapen red blood cells.
- Sepsis: Body’s extreme response to infection, affects the blood.
- Schistocytosis: Fragmentation of red blood cells.
- Systemic Mastocytosis: Abnormal accumulation of mast cells in the body.
- Splenomegaly: Enlarged spleen, affecting blood cell production.
Bone Diseases That Start With S
- Spinal Osteoarthritis: Degeneration of joints in the spine.
- Scoliosis: Abnormal lateral curvature of the spine.
- Stress Fractures: Small cracks in a bone, often due to overuse.
- Spina Bifida: Birth defect where the spine doesn’t form properly.
- Septic Arthritis: Infection in the joint space, often bacterial.
Bacterial Infection That Start With S
- Strep Throat: Bacterial infection causing sore throat and fever.
- Syphilis: Sexually transmitted bacterial infection.
- Salmonellosis: Infection with salmonella bacteria, often from contaminated food.
- Staphylococcal Infections: Infections caused by staph bacteria.
- Scarlet Fever: Bacterial illness that develops from strep throat.
Explore More Diseases Starting With:
Animal Diseases That Start With S
In this next segment, we explore common animal diseases starting with ‘S’. These diseases are significant for veterinary medicine and animal health management.
- Salmonellosis: Bacterial infection affecting the intestines of animals.
- Sarcoptic Mange (Scabies): Highly contagious skin disease caused by mites.
- Swine Fever (Classical Swine Fever/Hog Cholera): Highly contagious viral disease in pigs.
- Strangles: Bacterial infection in horses causing abscesses in the lymph nodes.
- Sheep Pox: Viral disease affecting sheep.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma: A form of skin cancer common in pets.
- Schmallenberg Virus: Infectious disease affecting ruminants.
- Salmon Poisoning Disease: Deadly disease in dogs, from certain raw fish.
- Snuffles in Rabbits: Bacterial respiratory infection.
- Swine Influenza: Respiratory disease in pigs.