20 Examples of Conjunctive Adverbs in Sentences! Conjunctive adverbs are an important part of English grammar, but they’re often difficult to identify and use correctly. This article provides 20 examples of conjunctive adverbs in sentences so you can better understand their purpose and how they work. We’ll look at each sentence and discuss why the conjunctive adverb is used and how it changes the meaning of the sentence. By learning these examples, you’ll be able to incorporate more sophisticated writing into your own work.
What is a Conjunctive Adverb?
A conjunctive adverb is a type of adverb that is used to connect two independent clauses or sentences. It serves as a link between the two clauses or sentences, indicating a relationship between the ideas expressed in them.
Some common examples of conjunctive adverbs include “however,” “therefore,” “nevertheless,” “moreover,” “consequently,” “meanwhile,” “furthermore,” and “likewise.”
Conjunctive adverbs are often used to show contrast, addition, result, or sequence between two independent clauses or sentences. They are usually set off by a semicolon (;) before the conjunctive adverb and a comma (,) after it.
For example: “She was tired; however, she continued working.”
In this sentence, “however” is the conjunctive adverb that links the two independent clauses and shows a contrast between them.
List of Conjunctive Adverbs
20 Examples of Conjunctive Adverbs in Sentences
- Now is the time to start studying for the exam.
- Indeed, it was the best day of my life.
- Similarly, my sister is also studying for her exam.
- He finished his breakfast; then, he went for a walk.
- We should exercise regularly; likewise, we should eat healthy food.
- There are many fruits; namely, apples, oranges, and bananas.
- She loves to travel; furthermore, she likes to try new foods.
- He likes to read books; also, he enjoys watching movies.
- She wanted to go to the beach; however, it was raining heavily.
- He missed his flight; consequently, he had to reschedule his trip.
- He is not very tall; nevertheless, he is a good basketball player.
- She went to the party; thereafter, she met some new friends.
- Finally, after years of hard work, she graduated from college.
- Instead of watching TV, he decided to read a book.
- Moreover, the weather forecast says it will rain all day.
- The restaurant has good food; thus, it’s always crowded.
- Incidentally, I met my old friend at the grocery store.
- Anyway, let’s get back to work.
- She was tired; still, she continued working.
- He lost his job; hence, he had to find a new one.
- 15 Examples of Conjunctive Adverbs
- 10 Examples of Conjunctive Adverbs
- 5 Examples of Conjunctive Adverbs
Last updated on April 5th, 2023 at 03:58 pm