10 Examples of Compound Words in Sentences! Compound words are formed when two or more words are joined together to create a single word with an entirely new meaning. They can be found in many different languages and are often used in daily conversation.
Below are 10 examples of compound words in sentences:
1. Breakfast – a meal is eaten in the morning
Example: I usually have cereal for breakfast.
2. Waterfall – a steep descent of water from a height
Example: The waterfall was beautiful and made a relaxing sound.
3. Toothbrush – a tool used for cleaning teeth
Example: Make sure you brush your teeth with a toothbrush twice a day.
4. Butterfly – a flying insect with two pairs of brightly colored wings
Example: The butterfly landed on my hand and then flew away.
5. Bookstore – a shop that sells books
Example: I always find the latest books at my favorite bookstore.
6. Snowman – a figure made of snow, usually in the shape of a human
Example: We built a snowman in the yard and decorated it with a hat and scarf.
7. Newspaper – a daily or weekly publication containing news, articles, and advertisements
Example: I read the newspaper every morning with my cup of coffee.
8. Sunflower – a plant with large yellow flowers that follows the movement of the sun
Example: The sunflower in my garden grew taller than me this year.
9. Basketball – a sport played with a ball and two teams of five players
Example: I love playing basketball with my friends after school.
10. Toothpaste – a substance used for cleaning teeth
Example: Don’t forget to put toothpaste on your toothbrush before you brush your teeth.
Related: 100 Examples of Compound Words
10 Sentences Using Compound Words:
- Is it safe to put these glasses in the dishwasher?
- This dishwasher has the option of being built-in.
- The majority of housework is usually done by women.
- Housework isn’t high on her priority list.
- Exhausted, he slumped into an armchair.
- He was accused of obstructing the highway.
- A dishwasher can help you save a lot of time and effort.
- The factory was filled with the smells of sawdust and glue.
- A hail of gunfire greeted the aircraft.
- A cardiograph is a device that records the heartbeat.
Last updated on April 6th, 2023 at 07:26 am