10 Examples of Compound Prepositions in Sentences! Compound prepositions are prepositions that are made up of two or more words. They function in the same way as regular prepositions, which is to establish a relationship between two or more words in a sentence, but they consist of multiple words.
Simple And Compound Preposition! What’s the Difference?
10 Compound Prepositions in Sentences & Meanings
Here are ten compound prepositions along with their definitions and example sentences:
1. According to – as stated by or in agreement with something or someone
Example: According to the weather forecast, it’s going to rain tomorrow.
2. Apart from – except for or not including
Example: Apart from Jack, everyone in the group was happy with the decision.
3. Because of – as a result of or on account of
Example: We had to cancel the trip because of the bad weather.
4. By means of – by using or through the use of something
Example: We were able to cross the river by means of a small boat.
5. In addition to – as well as or besides
Example: In addition to her job, she volunteers at a local charity.
6. In front of – situated before or facing something
Example: The statue was placed in front of the courthouse.
7. In spite of – despite or regardless of
Example: In spite of the rain, we went ahead with the outdoor party.
8. On behalf of – as a representative of or in support of someone or something
Example: The lawyer spoke on behalf of the defendant in court.
9. On top of – situated above or in addition to something
Example: He put his hat on top of the stack of books on the table.
10. With regard to – concerning or relating to something
Example: With regard to your request, we will do our best to accommodate you.
Last updated on April 6th, 2023 at 09:53 am