Prepositions and its Types!
Definition of Preposition
A preposition shows the relation of a noun or pronoun with other.
The book is in the bag.
Types of Preposition
1. Preposition of Time
Prepositions that are used to show time are called prepositions of time.
At, in, on are called preposition of time. prepositions and its types
“at” before a precise time
“in” before months, tears, centuries, and long periods
“on” before days and dates Prepositions and its Types
|Precise Time||Months, Years, Centuries and Long Periods||Days and Dates|
|at 3 o’clock||in may||on Sunday|
|at 10:30 a.m.||in summer||on Tuesdays|
|at noon||in winter||on 6 march|
|at dinnertime||in 1990||on 25 Dec. 2010|
|at bedtime||in the 1990s||on Christmas day|
|at sunrise||in the next century||on independence day|
|at sunset||in the ice of age||on my birthday|
|at the moment||in the past/in future||on new year’s eve|
- I have a meeting at 9 a.m.
- The shop closes at midnight.
- Abdullah went home at lunchtime.
- In England, it often snows in December.
- Do you think we will go to Jupiter in the future?
- There must be a lot of progress in the next century.
- Do you work on Mondays?
- Her birthday is on 20 November. preposition and its types
- Where will you neon New Year’s Day?
2. Preposition of Movement and Direction
Prepositions of movement show movement in a sentence.
Some commonly used prepositions are:
Away from, up, down, off, out of, to, onto, into, towards, across, along, round, out of, through.
- She returned to her office. Prepositions and its Types
- Lyon fell onto the floor.
- He jumped into the pool.
- He is running away from dogs.
- She is taking the dish out of the oven.
- They were walking towards the castle.
- The boat was going down the river.
- The jeep is going up the hill
- The poor man just fell off his horse.
3. Preposition of Location or Position or Place
Preposition of positions shows locus. “at, in, on” are called preposition of position.
Some common prepositions of position are:
At the back of, at the bottom of, at the top of, behind, between, in the corner of, in the middle of, next to, to the left of, on the other side of, to the right of, on the side of, on the top of, the opposite.
- We met at the bus station.
- The cat was sitting on the floor.
- They live in New York.
4. Compound Preposition Prepositions and its Types
A preposition consisting of more than one word is called a compound preposition.
Some compound prepositions are:
According to, ahead of, apart from, aside from, as of, because of, by means of, in addition to in the back of, in the front of, in the place of, in regard to, in spite of, instead of, in view of, next to, on account of, out of, owing to, prior to.
Download this complete lesson of “preposition and its types” in PDF
Nice one 👍👍👍