20 Action words with Pictures, Action Verbs List
In order to be an effective communicator, one must use action words. Action words are verbs that express physical or mental action. They make your writing more alive and interesting. When you use action words, your reader will see and feel what you are writing about. Here is the List of 20 most common action words:
List of action verbs
- Throw away
You May Like to Read:
Action Words with Pictures
Dream is a state of consciousness where one’s thoughts and feelings appear as images, sounds or sensations to him.
- We do not see our dreams because we are asleep.
- Dreams are a form of sleep.
- I dreamt about the beautiful princess that was my mother.
Ride is a verb that means to travel by foot, bicycle, or other vehicle.
- When I was young, I rode my bicycle all around the city.
- I loved to ride my bicycle in the park.
Dive is an action verb that means to plunge into or to descend into water.
- We often use the word dive in sports, such as diving off a high board.
- I am going to dive off the diving board at school.
Win is an action verb that means to succeed in a contest or competition.
- I won the first prize at the fair.
- Win means to win first place in a competition or contest.
Eat is an action verb that means to take food into the mouth.
- I like to eat spaghetti with tomato sauce.
- The meal was delicious and I ate all of it.
Fight is an action verb that means to fight with someone for a reason.
- We often use the word fight in sports, such as fighting with a friend in a game of football.
- The fans fought each other for tickets.
Dig is an action verb that means to dig with a shovel or pickaxe.
- I am digging a hole in the garden.
- Tommy dug a tunnel under his house to escape from his enemies.
Cry is an action verb that means to cry.
- I am crying because my favorite doll broke.
- The mother cried when her son was killed in a car accident.
Wash is an action verb that means to wash something with water.
- I need to wash the dishes before dinner.
- The boy washed his hands after touching the food in the kitchen.
Cut is a verb which means to perform cutting action.
- I cut my finger and it hurts a lot.
- I cut the cake with a knife, I do not use scissors for this purpose.
Walk is a verb which means to move from one place to another.
- I walked for 2 hours and it was very hot.
- I walk like my mother.
Enter is a verb which means to come into the room.
- I entered my room, I was very tired.
- Entering the house, I closed the door and went to sleep.
Talk is a verb which means to communicate.
- I talked with my friend, she told me a lot of funny things.
- Talk is a very important part of life.
Shake hands is a verb which means to hold the hand of another person.
- I shook hands with my teacher and he asked me a lot of questions.
Laugh is a verb which means to make fun of another person.
- I laughed at my teacher, he was very funny.
- Laugh means to be happy!
Listen is a verb which means to understand.
- I listen to my teacher, she explains very well.
- Listen is an important part of life.
Snore is a verb which means to sleep loudly.
- My friend snores, he gets very sleepy.
- She was snoring like cow in the class.
Throw away is a verb that means to throw something away or to discard.
- I threw away the bread on the table, I want to eat it.
- They threw away the rubbish.
Approve is a verb which means to give approval.
- I approve of my teacher’s performance.
- She was not willing to approve my application.
Write is a verb which means to write.
- I wrote a book about my life.
- I write down the lecture of my teacher.