15 Examples of Stative Verbs in Sentences! Verbs are an important part of any language and are used to describe actions or states. Stative verbs specifically refer to verbs that express a state rather than an action. In this article, we will look at ten examples of stative verbs being used in sentences. We will also explain what makes a verb stative and provide some exercises so you can become more familiar with the concept. Get ready to learn about the different types of stative verbs!
Related: 100 Examples of Stative Verbs
15 Examples of Stative Verbs
Stative Verbs describe a state of being, feeling, or possessing, rather than an action or event. Here are 15 examples of stative verbs:
- Be: I am happy.
- Have: I have a headache.
- Like: I like ice cream.
- Love: I love my family.
- Hate: I hate spiders.
- Prefer: I prefer tea to coffee.
- Need: I need a break.
- Want: I want a new car.
- Believe: I believe in myself.
- Understand: I understand the instructions.
- Know: I know the answer.
- Think: I think it’s going to rain.
- Remember: I remember my first day of school.
- Forget: I forget my keys sometimes.
- Appreciate: I appreciate your help.
Examples of Stative Verbs in Sentences
- I can’t believe what he’s done.
- You must toil for knowledge if you want it.
- I despise you because you don’t love me.
- There’s no doubt in my mind that we’ll win.
- They would prefer to be compensated in foreign currency.
- I have no doubt that he will assist me.
- Know the back of one’s hand like the back of one’s hand.
- Play trumps when in doubt.
- I’m just tired, I guess.
- Promises are made to be broken, just like pie crust.
- To know one, you must first be one.
- He isn’t capable of murder, in my opinion.
- That’s something I wish I hadn’t said.
- I prefer to stay away from financial debates.
- There’s nowhere quite like home.
Last updated on March 25th, 2023 at 09:14 am