Waves are a fascinating phenomenon found in various forms of matter, including water, air, and even electromagnetic fields. They are characterized by their frequency, amplitude, and other parameters. Understanding the vocabulary associated with waves can enhance your comprehension of various scientific principles and natural occurrences.
Words Related to Waves
Here are the top 30 terms related to waves with meanings:
- Frequency – The number of wave cycles per second.
- Amplitude – The height of a wave, indicating energy level.
- Wavelength – The distance between two identical points in a wave.
- Trough – The lowest point of a wave.
- Crest – The highest point of a wave.
- Oscillation – Repeated motion or fluctuation in a wave.
- Ripple – Small, gentle waves usually on the surface of liquids.
- Tsunami – A large ocean wave caused by an earthquake.
- Surf – Breaking waves close to the shore.
- Undulate – To move in a wavy, flowing manner.
- Refraction – The bending of a wave as it enters a new medium.
- Diffraction – The spreading of waves when they meet obstacles.
- Interference – When two or more waves meet and affect each other.
- Propagation – The movement and spreading of waves.
- Resonance – Amplification of wave amplitude by matching frequencies.
- Swell – A long series of ocean waves.
- Hertz – Unit to measure wave frequency.
- Phase – The position in a wave cycle at any given point.
- Harmonic – Frequencies that are multiples of the fundamental frequency.
- Waveform – The shape and form of a wave.
- Breaker – A collapsing ocean wave.
- Particle Wave – Concept that matter has properties of both particles and waves.
- Seiche – A standing wave in an enclosed body of water.
- Displacement – Movement of a point in a wave from its rest position.
- Doppler Effect – Change in wave frequency due to relative motion.
- Node – A point in a wave where displacement is zero.
- Antinode – Point of maximum displacement in a wave.
- Echo – Reflected sound wave.
- Reverberation – Persistence of sound due to reflection.
- Whitecap – Frothy crest on the top of a wave.
Explore More Words: