Addiction is a complex, multifaceted phenomenon that impacts individuals and societies at various levels. Understanding its lexicon can offer insight into its manifestations, challenges, and potential solutions. Here are the top 30 words related to addiction.
Words Related to Addiction
Below are the top 30 terms related to addiction with meaning:
- Dependence: A physiological or psychological need for a substance or habit.
- Withdrawal: Symptoms experienced when reducing or quitting a substance.
- Tolerance: Needing more of a substance to achieve the same effects.
- Rehabilitation: Process of restoring health through treatment and therapy.
- Craving: Intense desire for a substance or activity.
- Relapse: Return to drug use or problematic behavior after abstaining.
- Sobriety: The state of being free from alcohol or drugs.
- Detoxification: Removing toxic substances, especially drugs, from the body.
- Intervention: Actions taken to help an addict recognize their problem.
- Enabler: One who unintentionally supports or permits destructive behaviors.
- Abstinence: The act of refraining from specific behaviors or substances.
- Overdose: Taking an excessive and potentially fatal amount of a substance.
- Counseling: Professional guidance to address and manage addiction issues.
- Substance: Material, often drugs or alcohol, leading to addiction.
- Compulsion: Irresistible urge to behave in a certain way.
- Narcotics: Drugs that can lead to addiction, often pain-relievers.
- Binge: Engaging excessively in an activity in a short time.
- Gateway drug: Substance believed to lead to harder drug use.
- Support group: Gathering of individuals facing similar challenges for mutual support.
- Clean: Free from drugs or any other addictive substances.
- Dependency: Relying on a substance or activity, often leading to addiction.
- Psychoactive: Substances that change perception, mood, or consciousness.
- Recovery: Process of returning to a healthy or normal state.
- Co-dependency: Dysfunctional helping relationship where one person supports another’s addiction.
- Addictive personality: Traits that make one susceptible to addiction.
- Therapy: Treatment to help individuals recover from addiction.
- Trigger: Anything that initiates a return to addictive behavior.
- Stimulant: Substance increasing alertness, attention, and energy.
- Euphoria: Intense happiness or excitement, often drug-induced.
- Dopamine: Neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward in the brain.
Read Other Related Words: