10 examples of modals!
Modal Verbs Definition
Model verbs are a kind of helping verbs. They show the mood of a verb such as ability, possibility, obligation, permission, advice, or some other mood.
Some Model verbs are:
Formula of Modal Verbs
Subject + Modal Verb + Main verb
- I can win the race. 10 examples of modals
- You should have a walk daily.
Modal Verbs – Video
Different Modal Verbs with Examples
We use this verb in the case of importance, asking permission, and Possibility.
- Ali can win the race.
- Smoking can cause cancer.
- Can Ali come with me for dinner?
Will/shall is use in case of wish, desire, will, confidence, in the future.
- I shall visit the China the next month.
- Ali will receive us at the railway station.
- Will you lend me your camera?
- Will you go with me?
- Shall I close the door?
- Shall I stay with you?
Must is used in the case of obligation, firm, conclusion, necessity.
- You must see a doctor at once.
- John must study hard.
- My watch must be broken
- He must have done this mistake.
May/Might is used in case of possibilities and past (Might).
- I may/might go to the market.
- It may/might rain today.
May is also used in case of request.
- May I use your pen?
- May I come in?
In case of Strong Motive.
- He worked hard so he may pass.
- He worked hard so he might pass.
In case of Prayer/invocation
- May you live long!
- May he go to hell!
We use would in case of question, permission, polite request, a habit of the past.
- Would you like salad with your meal?
- Where would you like to eat dinner?
- If you hired a car, you would reach in time.
- If you worked hard, you would have pass the exam.
- When I was a student, I would go swimming every day.
- When John lived in America, he would write me long letters.
Used for possibility in past, polite request, Conditional sentences and ability.
- You could help me in that crisis.
- They could be dangerous.
- When I was young, I could run very fast.
- Could you help me move this sofa?
- Could you give me a lone?
- If you worked hard, you could pass the examination.
Used for urgent work or moral duty.
- You should help the poor
- I should reach the school in time.
Used for moral duty.
- You ought to help the needy.
- He ought to obey his parents.
Download this lesson of ‘Examples of modals, Definition and Sentences’